In 2016, with just one game, Nintendo made a comeback. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild transformed the series from being one of the industry’s most cherished, into one of its biggest.
The game’s overwhelming success shattered the notion that the Zelda series was only for the hardcore gamers.
In this blog post, we will discuss how Breath of the Wild changed the landscape for Zelda games and why it became the best-selling game in the franchise.
The Inconsistency of the Zelda Series Sales
- Discuss the history of the sales of the Zelda series
- Highlight the fluctuation between games on different platforms and the same platforms.
- Analyze the sales of Breath of the Wild in comparison to previous games
The Launch of Breath of the Wild
- Discuss the marketing campaign of Breath of the Wild.
- Highlight the overwhelmingly positive reviews and 100% attach rate with Switch.
- Emphasize that the game’s launch wasn’t the only factor that contributed to its success.
Emergent Gameplay of Breath of the Wild
- Explain the gameplay mechanics that set Breath of the Wild apart from other Zelda games.
- Discuss how emergent gameplay has led to thousands of YouTube videos, articles, streams, and clips of players doing crazy things in the game.
- Emphasize the impact of emergent gameplay on the game’s sales and longevity.
The Future of Zelda Series with Tears of the Kingdom
- Discuss the upcoming Zelda game, Tears of the Kingdom.
- Highlight the opportunity for emergent gameplay with the ability to create vehicles.
- Discuss the importance of Nintendo leaning into the success of Breath of the Wild.
Watch Tears of The Kingdom Treehouse Livestream
You can watch The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Treehouse live stream on Thursday, May 11, 2023, at 6:45 PM PT / 9:45 PM ET. There is no information on How Long the Stream Will Continue but make sure you check out the official website of Nintendo Live. However, this information is not confirmed yet.
The Legend of Zelda
It’s been more than six years since The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild game took the gaming world by storm. Its sequel is launching exclusively on Nintendo Switch tomorrow, which could leave PC gamers feeling excluded.
However, there are a variety of Zelda-like games available on PC that can satisfy the same thirst for adventure.
Breath of the Wild transformed the Legend of Zelda series into a mainstream success, which had never been achieved before.
The game’s success can be attributed to a combination of factors, such as the game’s launch, the overwhelmingly positive reviews, and the emergent gameplay mechanics that set it apart from previous games.
With the upcoming release of Tears of the Kingdom, it is clear that Nintendo is capitalizing on the success of Breath of the Wild and leaning into the game’s emergent gameplay mechanics.
It remains to be seen whether Tears of the Kingdom will surpass the sales of its predecessor, but one thing is certain, Breath of the Wild has permanently changed the Legend of Zelda series.